Saturday, May 9, 2009

Rakish Paddy's Old Bush

Oops, yer right Keona. The B-part of Rakish Paddy does go up to and above A. For years I've been playing the B-part of this tune wrong. I've just been playing the B-part of The Old Bush with only three note changes, all the while thinking: "Gee, these tunes are sure similar."
Here's the side by side, for remediation purposes. See if you can spot the "roof shape" in the notes. I also recommend that Chris learn Rakish Paddy for remediation purposes. It's a better tune than you remember, Chris ;-)

Rakish Paddy

The Old Bush

I made the comment yesterday that I saw the shape of a roof in the B-part of Rakish Paddy, which caught Emily's interest briefly. No, Emily, I don't share your strong visual sense with tunes. Wish I did. For me, the shape is literally in the dots of the notation.
I don't really see notation any more. Tunes are more like, well, tunes. But in those instances when I've incorrectly made up some variation or I can't keep similar tunes separate, the little shapes of relative pitch help.

Here's the tune that Neil suggested for homework.

Molly Put The Kettle On

No comments: