Monday, October 20, 2008

New musical Friends, Tempo, and Expectations



The Tune of the Week is actually a song, the Log Driver's Waltz.

For the life of me I cannot hear the double-entendre that everyone was giggling about at session when I hear this song! It's a beloved NFB Animation short, not a tune about the nasty. Someone will have to take me aside and explain.

Thanks to Lyn and Emily for this one, and if anyone can suggest great Canadian tunes to Margaret to take home to Ireland, pass them along!

It was great having some folks make the long trip from town to join us this weekend. I really enjoy playing with new people. It's great fun watching players squint and cringe as we adjust intonation, listen to new settings, and settle into a group tempo that might be a bit different than what might have been set initially. And the punters don't seem to notice because they invariably are shocked to hear that we haven't been playing together for years.

So cheers to Margaret, Brenda and Hugh for coming out. I associate Margaret's guitar so strongly with Annie and Jes' fiddle playing that I can almost hear the three of them when only one is present. It's likewise with Keona's playing; I hear Neil's guitar with her even when he's at home.

No comments: